Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I'm still up!

You know whats really terrifying? Bouchra Jarrar's Fall Couture show.
Bouchra Jarrar Fall 2010 CoutureBouchra Jarrar Fall 2010 CoutureBouchra Jarrar Fall 2010 CoutureBouchra Jarrar Fall 2010 Couture
So, first picture. This style of shirt is sorta creepy, and the model herself is a bit disconcerting, what with her intense facial expression and her hair being slicked back to baldness. Second picture. How is someone 6 feet tall this skinny?! Am I being ridiculous, or is she really THAT SKINNY??!!? I can't tell, maybe its the light shining from behind her. Still, even for a model, doesn't she look too skinny? Third picture. SAME THING. I can see all of her ribs. Please honey, eat a piece of chicken or something. AND FOURTH PICTURE. GAHHHH OHHH MY GOD. Is her head on backwards?!?!? You can't tell.
Another thing: whats at all good about doing a HAUTE COUTURE show with black and white as you primary colors? My interpretation about Haute Couture is that it is big, ostentatious, thought provoking, crazy. This was so simple, and tame. It wasn't even good simple, the styles were... weird. I feel immature saying this, but I do't know how else to put it. Its just not my cup of tea...at all. Not my species of tea leaf.
But, on the other hand, is Couture the same thing as Haute Couture? I sound very dumb if it isn't...
I'll leave you with that. Sorry Bouchra, I do not like this collection.

3 comments:

Lizzy said...

Very creepy, I agree. And I'm pretty sure haute couture and couture are pretty much the same thing.

The facts are these... said...

Emma, as (I hope) your fashion reference, I urge you to give this collection another chance. Consider that these dresses have excellently clean lines so as to allow the wearer to radiate her own beauty, rather than distracting from it. And yes, the models are way too thin (a problem that fashion heavyweights like Vogue Editor-in-Chief Anna Wintour and designers Michael Kors and Diane von Furstenburg are currently trying to remedy), but focus on the clothes instead. In fact, I think that the first few silhouettes are positively Jackie O. I understand your statement that this doesn't quite look like your idea of couture, but not every designer is as high fashion outlandish/gaudy as John Galliano; that is to say, respect Bouchra for staying true to herself, and understand that the real point of couture is the beauty of handmade clothes (think between ten and forty or so (?) French/Italian women who have been sewing professionally for at least 20 years and will work for weeks on one particularly ornate dress). As for the monochromatic quality of this particular collection, please remember that Yves Saint Laurent's single most influential collection ever (which rocked the fashion world, as well as giving us Le Smoking Jacket-- Google it if you don't recognize the name) was all black, and that it was both his and Christian Dior's favorite color. Finally, there is room in the couture world for many different points-of-view. In this factory-driven age when fashion houses as old and historic as Valentino are struggling-- and the great Christian Lacroix (another one worth Googling) was driven into bankruptcy last year-- I applaud this designer for daring to put out a couture collection at all.

Rebecca

Emma said...

Thank you so much for that. I realize I was looking at this collection from a one dimensional point of view, and definitely not as open minded as I should have been. While I still do not like the collection, I understand its appeal and elegance to many people. The harshness of my critique may have come from the very late hour. Thanks for setting me straight.
Also, i saw you on south congress today, I love that shirt.