Monday, October 11, 2010

I buy stuff...brilliant title, I know

I am in Thailand as you may have heard/seen, and one of the things I love about Northern Thailand is the Mountain Tribes and their awesome beautiful handicrafts. You may have heard of the Karen people, more commonly referred to as the long neck tribe, they are the ones who put brass coils around their women's neck from 5 years old to stretch their necks out to resemble those of a swan. Its a bit disturbing, and sounds painful, but the effect is fascinating and I wish I had some pictures I took to show you, but they are all film. Anyways, I bought this bracelet at a Karen village, its kinda more touristy than traditional, but its a thin version of the brass they put around their necks.


I also got these rings at an awesome silver shop we always go to in Chiang Mai. I love the turquoise set in the bigger one.
This purse and skirt are things I got at the night market and a market in town, I love all the crazy patterns and embroidery, and the pom poms on the purse. The skirt was so cheap, the lady at the night market stall had a huge stack with skirts of of every color, its was quite a sight. (Worn here with a Gap t-shirt and vintage belt.)


No comments: